- The Importance of Communication and Trust in Construction September 22, 2016 Building an effective team in construction poses special challenges that require effective management and communication skills. Establishing trust is essential to developing a good working relationship with team members.
Teams need clear leaders to ensure success. Some behaviors make a significant difference to effective leadership:
Stating a “big picture”
Engaging the right people
Building ... Continue >
- Associations for Construction Managers August 1, 2016 Joining a professional association is an excellent way to build your network, discover trends and issues in the industry, and expand your knowledge. While pursuing your education, learning about the organizations in your chosen field, even attending a national conference if convenient, is a great way to begin applying what ... Continue >
- Construction and the Environment July 26, 2016 Green construction is about more than installing solar panels. It’s about developing sustainable construction practices. This is new territory and it is constantly changing.
Now, buildings are increasingly designed with the environment in mind, developed to have a lower environmental impact and built conscientiously to reduce the impact on the environment. ... Continue >
- Crime in Construction July 21, 2016 According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, the number of thefts on construction sites increases with rising temperatures, making summer a prime time for theft crimes. In the UK, the Chartered Institute of Building found that 92% of respondents in the construction industry acknowledged theft was a regular problem and 21% ... Continue >
- Skilled Worker Shortage July 15, 2016 In a Construction Dive article published early this year, Dominic Thasarathar, a senior industry program manager for construction and natural resources at Autodesk is quoted saying:
“The overwhelming, number one issue is access to skilled labor.”
Despite Dodge Data & Analytics’ 2016 Construction Outlook report predicting 6% growth in new construction projects, many construction firms are ... Continue >
- Construction Health and Safety June 27, 2016 Construction Managers must prepare for the hazards of a construction site. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), a part of the United States Bureau of Labor, provides regulations and guidelines to ensure workers’ well-being.
Though many construction job sites have safety managers, the Construction Manager can — and should — ... Continue >
- Emerging Construction Technologies June 21, 2016 Technology has provided benefits to many industries, including construction. The 2015 JBKnowledge Construction Technology Report surveyed over 2,000 construction professionals on the application of emerging technology in the field. On a scale of 1 to 10 — with 10 being “Very Comfortable” with new technology — nearly 65% of the ... Continue >
- The Importance of Certification June 14, 2016 The construction industry is growing. Construction Managers are needed to oversee the planning, design, and construction of a project. They work with the conceptual design team and remain present through every step until the project is complete. Construction Managers are responsible for oversight of deadlines, budgets and quality. Certification is ... Continue >
- International Construction June 8, 2016 Many construction projects today are developed across national borders. The complexity of developments, the critical use of green technologies and the challenges of infrastructure planning now have global import. Globalization means the construction industry is expanding both domestically and internationally.
International development presents real opportunities. The Engineering News Record reported that ... Continue >
- Look-Ahead Planning for the Slow Season: Earn Your MSCM June 1, 2016
Now is the time to plan for the next step in your career. Earn a Master in Construction Management at New England Institute of Technology, while you work and build your skills for a better future.
A Master in Construction Management provides you with the education to be a part of ... Continue >